Tuesday, June 21, 2011

More Dutch Wonderland Disappointments

Over this past weekend we got to make a our second trip to Dutch Wonderland. I was really hoping I could report back some good news for all those DW fans out there but alas I had high hopes that Dutch Wonderland just couldn't measure up to once again. Now let's backtrack to our first visit. We were extremely disappointed with the changes that were made by new owners Palace Entertainment. Not only was the changes upsetting but we had a tip that DW was going to start charging for parking. After talking to management I found out this to be true. It now cost $10 to park in the lot closest to the castle. The lot that is up the hill going by the mini golf is free and recently since the change over, packed. Now if your a season pass holder you will understand my grief when I heard this information. No one ever told us about this change when we put a lot of money into getting our passes and now we basically could not go. My mother has a hard time walking but doesn't have a handicap license so we try to park as close as possible all the time. After continual contact with management I won a small bit of the war with my fellow pass holders and now season pass holders are able to park here for free anytime.



Now let's fast forward to this past weekend when we stopped by DW around 4:30pm. We wanted to catch my daughter's favorite show, Funsation Celebration, that started at 5:30pm. When we arrived in the parking area we headed to the preferred parking area despite the "Lot Full" sign posted. We saw there were at least fifty plus spots open so we just thought they didn't take their sign down. When the attendant informed us the lot was indeed closed off we were flabbergasted. So we asked for management. When the managers came out we expressed our concerns but were told once a parking space is sold, it's sold for the day. If the people decide to leave early then the spot just sits there wide open. Okay so who's stupid idea was this one? Seriously, you couldn't even pay to park there. After continually bickering back and forth we were able to park close to the castle and made it just in time for the show to start. These are the pictures I took of the parking lot when we were there. As you can see there are plenty of spaces. I know a lot of pass holders that wait to come to the park for the crowds to die down a bit, just like us. It's so disappointing that the company is making all the wrong choices.


This is our car parked. Look how close we are to the castle here.

Look at all these open spaces that are unable to be used.

As for the rest of our trip it wasn't great but there was a glimmer of hope here and there. The show was great. Bridget enjoys the big dance number they teach the kids. She has been practicing in the off season.  I think the new song is a bit cheesy and I am not into it at all but it was nice that they are trying something new. The dancers/singers were energetic and all smiles. Something I haven't seen much from other staff there. Once again I think the park is being carried by the Dutch Wonderland official band, The Wanderers. The whole band is charismatic but the star to my daughter is the drummer. He rocks!
           
                                Funsation Celebration shows everyday at 5:30pm

This band rocks!
                                                     

The dive show was not to disappoint either. I don't think there was ever a time I was disappointed with The Adventures Of The Frog Prince. I don't like the other show they perform, A Dragon's Tail. It's not the acting or the diving, it's the story. It has a lot of grown up stuff hidden in the show that the kids may or may not get so I tend not to go to this show. They also have a open dive at 5pm. They are very talented people and nice too.
           
     

I was sad to see that everything that Bridget wanted to do was closed. The space simulator, the big water slides, and I heard rumors that the Ferris wheel was not working so I didn't dare take Bridget to do that ride.We even ran into a concession stand not even in working order in the middle of the space shuttle area. It's bad enough they will not reopen the Mission Control Center but now they mock us with food they don't even have. It looked tacky. We did however go on the roller coaster, Bridget's favorite.


Just plain tacky!
 

Although the big Kingdom Coaster is her favorite Bridget is thrilled to be able to go on this one by herself.

After the rides we were walking towards the exit when we stopped by the Potato Patch. This is the former "Treehouse" eatery next to the party rooms. I am not sure if any other child is as observant as my kid but she fell in love with a squirrel decoration on the side of the building. He was a cute oversize critter that ate a hot dog and my daughter hugged that squirrel with every visit. When we walked by this evening the squirrel was missing. She was in tears and literally ran away to the church building down the hill and cried by the Bible. I ended up with tears in my eyes as well watching my child so sad about the lose of her dear friend whom she named Hot Dog. I am guessing he just went with all the other ornaments and statues around the park to that great big amusement park in the sky. It was such a joy having my mom take me to Dutch Wonderland as a kid and having her show me stuff that she remembered from her childhood. It was even more special having my mom show my daughter the same old "friends". It's so sad they can't do nothing to repair them since those statues were what made Dutch Wonderland different and unique. In a world with video games and Internet I was always shocked by how many children just stood in the candy house watching the little simple robotic people make fudge. I get it though because I still visit the candy house with each trip to see the candy making people at work.
                      
The new and improved Potato Patch? I don't think so, look at those prices people!
Dutch Wonderland 2010
Bridget and "Hot Dog" having a moment.


             
 The first picture is my daughter being sad over the lose of her friend "Hot Dog" and the second picture is       of her literally crying over the missing squirrel decor. I feel a tear coming on again.

I have talked to management about my concerns once again, especially the parking arrangements. I am meeting with him tomorrow when we visit once again for Duke the dragon's birthday party at 2:30pm. The event takes place in the water park so bring your bathing suit and gear. From what I am hearing there will be NO other characters from local places there this year. In prior years Hershey, Kitchen Kettle Village, and Lancaster Barnstormers have sent out their mascots to celebrate DW's mascots birthday. It's sad that the big purple dragon is even loosing friends over the management switch. Poor guy didn't ask for all these changes. Oh well we will see what happens and I will blog later this week about the experience. Until then I am hoping for a Dutch Wonderful day tomorrow and I hope the rest of your week goes swimmingly.


Bridget and her new friend at the Candy House!




1 comment:

  1. Hey Ms. Theresa and Bridget! I work in the Food and Beverage department at Dutch Wonderland, and I know where Hot Dog is. He's behind Snack Shack, down the path next to the Amphitheatre where the Bubba Bear show is. If you go behind Snack Shack, he's up on the back with another squirrel buddy. He's still got the hot dog, too.

    ReplyDelete